Benefits of Raising Pigs Indoors
Many people think that raising pigs indoors inevitably has an overall negative impact on the animals’ health and comfort. In fact, by virtually every measure, this is untrue. Farmers who raise pigs in states with extreme weather often choose to raise pigs indoors in buildings where they can control the temperature, humidity and other environmental factors. These buildings are well-lit and clean, so we can better monitor and promote the health of the hogs.
Benefits of indoor pig farming:
- Pigs are healthier and more comfortable when they aren’t exposed to extreme temperatures. Indoor facilities feature advanced climate control to keep pigs at a comfortable temperature regardless of the weather outside.
- Feed and water can be automated and very carefully monitored in accordance with each pig’s need.
- Buildings are designed and maintained to keep out predators and parasites. This protection is vital to prevention of pig injury and disease. Feed and water are less susceptible to contamination.
- Ventilation systems ensure the health and safety of animals and facility workers.
- Pig barns usually are equipped with curtains that can be raised or lowered to let in fresh air and natural light.
- Facilities employ strict biosecurity practices to help ensure diseases are not accidentally introduced to the animals.